Charles G. Kelly
Chuck focuses his practice on business law, estate planning, probate administration, trust administration and real estate. With his estate planning and probate counseling, he has always strived to understand the unique and very personal needs of each individual and family and to meet those needs in the most economical way possible. In his business practice he has made a career of helping the business startup, of counseling the long-time family business, and of advising the publicly traded bank and business.
He is a member of a family of attorneys. His father was an attorney and judge in St. Clair County, his son Steve is an attorney in Milwaukee, and his daughter Elizabeth is an attorney working in New York City. Since becoming an attorney in 1975, he has practiced only with Kelly Law Firm.
Chuck has been recognized by his peers for his legal excellence and professionalism. For more than 25 years he has received Lexis Nexis Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer review rating as an AV “preeminent” attorney.
Active in his profession, he was chosen to serve as President of the St. Clair County Bar Association in 1991 and as its representative to the State Bar Representative Assembly from 1994 to 1999. He was appointed by the Michigan Discipline Board — the adjudicative arm of the Michigan Supreme Court — to serve as an Attorney Discipline Panel member from 1994 to 2011 and he served as a Panel Chair for many of those years.
In 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2009, he served on the Federal Judicial Merit Advisory Committees to make recommendations regarding Presidential appointments to the federal bench for the Eastern District of Michigan and for U.S. Attorney for that district. With respect to his estate planning services, he has served as both a board member and as president of the St. Clair County Estate Planning Council.
Chuck is the recipient of the Honorable James T. Corden Civility Award given by the St. Clair County Bar Association. This award “recognizes members of the St. Clair County Bar Association who practice with dignity and respect, who place a premium on integrity, honesty, ethics and fairness in their dealings with the bench, the bar and the public, and who maintain civility, decorum and professionalism in their daily conduct.”
Chrishonda Miles, assistant to Charles G. Kelly
In addition to his legal practice, Chuck has also been deeply involved in the community
- Former Adjunct Business Law Instructor at St. Clair County Community College.
- Past Board Member and past President of the Visiting Nurse Association of St. Clair County.
- Board Member and past President of the Blue Water Area YMCA and recipient of an honorary lifetime membership for his decades of work for the “Y.”
- Past Member of the City of Port Huron Community Relations Board.
- Past Advisory Director of the Blue Water Mental Health Clinic.
- Trustee for over 33 years and past Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County.
- Past Director and past President of the International Center for Study of Canadian/American Trade.
- Past Chairman of the Major Gifts Committee of McLaren Port Huron Hospital Foundation.
Chuck lives in Fort Gratiot with his wife, Gail Kelly. He enjoys cycling, travel, college sports, white water rafting and canyon hiking.
- Wayne State University, J.D., 1975, cum laude graduate and recipient of the Silver Scholarship Key
- University of Michigan, B.A. with distinction, 1972